By James A. Denney. Background checks, gun bans, and the like do not work, because firearms are NOT the problem. The current media/political hysteria is pure anti-freedom propaganda.
There are, on average, about 10,000 firearms murders per year in this country. Less than 2% of these are done with semi-auto rifles, or done in “mass shootings” (whatever the definition of “mass shooting” is this week.) The vast remainder are murders in inner city war zones, by perps of the same ethnicity as the victim, whether black or white or brown. Plus, more people are murdered with axes, knives and hammers than with semi-auto rifles. Focusing on guns is not only unproductive, it is an insidious diversion.
The blatantly opportunistic focus on gun control in the midst of every media-enhanced tragedy is being led by a cabal of anti-freedom progressives, who care nothing about the hundreds of firearms murders in Baltimore, Chicago, etc., but only want to restrict the individual liberty of good citizens, in furtherance of their plans for their impossible “progressive” utopia.
This gun control movement reminds me of when I used to raccoon hunt with hounds. Occasionally a good hound would take off on the trail of a deer or other non-raccoon species, and waste a good night in the woods. The gun-control people are doing the same thing: Diverting time & energy from real efforts to stop violence, and wasting time, money & energy, but in a more sinister purpose than an errant hound: to curtail liberty.
What would be the more productive route?
- In the inner cities, establish federal task forces with more federal judges and prosecutors to mete out lengthy jail sentences to repeat firearms offenders, especially those who illegally possess guns (most offenders). This is effective, and has been re-started in a couple of cities, and needs to be expanded.
- Establish a small task force in all major police departments to take reports, gather & share intelligence on individual aberrant behavior. Gathering info gleaned from public social media sites, from schools, as well as personal interviews of neighbors, family and friends may not immediately justify a warrant, but certainly would enable a visit and knock on the door to speak with the individual and his family. This could lead to remedies such as treatment, discovery of other illegalities, etc. Most of these shooters recently in the news were on someone’s radar, but nothing was done.
- Re-open mental health hospitals and re-legalize incarceration of seriously mentally ill people for treatment, with due process.
- Conduct a serious study as to the effects of behavior control medications, and of video & movie violence on the mental well-being & behavior of young people.
- Solve the problem of “soft targets” by eliminating “gun-free zones”.
- Begin a “New Awakening” of religious worship in America to re-instill in our young people, the truth that there is punishment waiting for evil behavior from a Supreme Being, and re-establish the traditional family and the role of the father in child rearing.